This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP Warren Kubitschek

Warren Kubitschek, known to us as Goltotoo, has been reported in my inbox as having passed from us, April 3rd.

I'll try to find out some more information.

Rapscallion
    A book in which I'm credited as being influential in its origins.

This one guy here?
    http://creo.nd.edu/news/19271-warren...k-in-memoriam/
    Warren N. Kubitschek, 56, of South Bend, died at 4:50 p.m. Sunday (April 3, 2011) at Regency Place in South Bend.

According to Google, this man was very very active on Dancing and Folk Festivals.
    Last edited by Llewellian; 04-21-2011, 02:59 PM.
    Sam: It's 106 miles to the Crack of Doom, we've got a magic ring, two daggers, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses.
    Frodo: Hit it!

Comment

Looks like. More information from the good people who contacted me.

his words. Goltotoo was Warren Neil Kubitschek. I met Warren about six years
      ago or so, on a text-based game called TorilMUD. There, he was a half-elf bard
      named Gurns, one of the long-time players who'd seen the mud go through
      different changes. I'd seen him, occasionally, before we really met, but I had
      been a novice and just didn't feel worthy of more than one casual conversation
      way back when.

Things were different when we actually got to know one another. I was part of
      the evolution of the mud, leader of the group of people in charge of running
      roleplaying events, and his skills as a writer would fit in well with what we
      were doing. I invited him to be a more significant player in the roleplay side
      of things, and we became very good friends - he was probably my best friend. It
      was about a year after that when he joined those of us running events, as the RP
      god Jergal.
      Warren was still a fairly private person. I learned that he had a wife, when he
      told me she helped him choose which Forgotten Realms god he'd play. Very
      slowly, I learned that he worked at the University of Notre Dame at CREO, and he
      encouraged me to learn more by myself using Google. In fact, I was sitting here
      last night, wishing I could just talk to him again, when I googled his name and
      remembered his Goltotoo alias and rediscovered his presence on your forum.
      It's easy to find out that Warren, along with his boss Maureen, did research
      into elements of education, often with a focus on Catholic schools and with
      teens. Not only did his years of editing experience help when we wrote up
      descriptions of objects and creatures and people for TorilMUD, but his deep
      learning of the principles of education helped when I was trying to help my son,
      who was finally diagnosed with Aspergers Syndrome, dyslexia, and ADD. I
      wouldn't have known to continue seeking a good assessment, if Warren hadn't
      suggested that we might be looking at Aspergers where teachers simply saw
      defiance and poor parenting skills.
      Warren would often go on trips to perform with the folk music band Spatter Dash,
      until they disbanded, and he was proud of his work at the Door County Folk
      Festival, both as a folk dance instructor and as a sound technician and
      organizer. They weren't kidding when they described him as "the tallest person
      around"; he needed to duck to get through standard doorways. During one of his
      visits, I'd managed to convince him to bring his accordion to play for us, and
      while I'm not a fan of folk music, it was a very nice treat.
      Our family all came to know Warren well, and his visits could never be long
      enough. Well, maybe too long for him, since both of my kids adored playing with
      him and hardly let him have a break! Occasionally his wife Catherine would
      accompany him, and sometimes we would visit them instead.
      On January 20, we 'met' to play our regular Pathfinder game over Skype, and
      Warren mentioned a headache and that he wasn't feeling well. Later that night,
      or perhaps the day after, Catherine called, in shock, to say that Warren wasn't
      going to be able to chat with my son via Skype, because he was in the hospital.
      He had an inoperable tumour by his left occipital nerve, and he had serious
      vision issues and balance trouble. A biopsy was done - perhaps chemotherapy and
      radiation could slow the tumour's growth and give him a few more months, but
      nothing could repair the damage that had already been done.
      We visited as soon as we could, and while there were hints of 'our' Warren, the
      man we saw was not exactly the one we knew. His perceptions of reality were
      skewed, and many of his self-care skills had been significantly reduced, and
      that could not be corrected. As the tumour grew, we lost more of our Warren.
      I tried to keep hope, and when Catherine would help him connect with me via
      Skype and voice software, I did my best to stay cheerful and engaging. However,
      the only things we could do were palliative, and finally the tumour won. Warren
      died, on April 3.
      There's so much more I would like to say, if I had words. How when Warren
      visited, we'd find some time to go have tea and just talk; how my daughter would
      be so delighted hearing his voice over Skype; how I could talk to him about
      almost anything; about the huge stack of books about Aspergers and ADHD which
      he'd sent to help me find my way for my son. And how much I miss him. I don't
      really know how to say it all, though.
      I hope this helps add more colour to his 'voice' in your forum. I like to
      remember his joy, while I 'listen' to him talk there and in other places with
      ghosts of his words.
      Rapscallion
      A book in which I'm credited as being influential in its origins.

Comment

Working...
      X